Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More Leah Sightings!

Monday was such a great day in my waiting world.  I saw Leah's picture on the HKI blog (see post below) and then I got five more pictures from a mom who adopted from Nanyang in December.  At the time I checked her blog every few days as she traveled to adopt her baby boy, but I didn't look at every single post or picture.  It was interesting because her itinerary is probably very similar to what ours will be, and she actually had the chance to visit the orphanage which is not common for Nanyang.  At that point I thought Leah was still in foster care, so I didn't even think about the possibility that she might have seen her.

Well, Monday I realized Leah probably was there, so I emailed her to see if she remembered seeing her.  Teresa was so sweet and emailed me right back with five pictures from the Lily Orphan Care Room that all included Leah!  She said I could post them here, so check it out.  Teresa also emailed another mom from the travel group that got back to me right away as well.  She has adopted two boys from China with missing left forearms like Leah, so I would really like to talk to her more.  I have to say that the people I've met online as we've been going through this process have been so incredibly helpful and supportive.  Thank you!

So, here's Leah hanging with the other babies back in December...

 She's the one sitting up in the striped jacket.

 This one was focused right on her.  I think she looks a little bored, but isn't she cute?  The ladies who visited said this LOCR part of the orphanage is very nice.  They said the nannies (who are in their teens and early twenties) are very sweet and loving with the babies.  The room is physically comfortable and nice with toys and real cribs.  At the time there were 16 babies and 5 nannies.  The nannies have all been trained by our agency.  This is such an improvement from several years ago.  Historically Henan province has been way behind in terms of living conditions and child care for orphans and our agency in particular has invested a lot of time and money over the past few years to improve things in this part of China.  I'm so grateful!

 This is the only picture I've seen of her crying.

Look at all those babies!  There's Leah with her back to us...same day/different spot on the mat.  I can't wait until we can hold Leah and give her our undivided love and attention.  After living with these babies, maybe our home won't be too chaotic after all.  It is a relief to me that it seems she is warm and safe and comfortable and all of her basic needs are being met.  It's crazy to think that her whole world right now is within the walls of just a few rooms.  I can't wait to expand her horizons a bit and get her out for some fresh air!  (I don't know if they take the babies outside or not...I'm just assuming since there are so many and it's winter they probably don't.  I could be wrong.)  I think her life right now is a little like Groundhog's Day.  Little does she know we're about to come and turn her world upside down...again.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you sooooo much for posting these pictures. My waiting DD is also in the LOCC at Nanyang - also moved there in late December and also given the same reason (too cold) for the move. I have been fretting over this incessantly but these pictures make me feel much better about her being in the orphanage as well as the words you've written!!!

    Fingers crossed for quick travels for all of us!!

    ~A
    http://www.beautifullyordinarylife.net

    ReplyDelete